Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Love and Hate...

"A new world upon this ancient civilization seems just above us, ready to swallow us if only we weren't in fear of our own miserable shortcomings that to the creator of such greatness is meaningless compared to our breath, that breath we breathe in our dreams, that we share in our kiss, that we speak with for our raya and agape. Because we cling to what we make of nothing, we see not that this is a new and primal beautiful existence in a new world that we haven't even realized has changed."
—Me, Brent Matthew Lillard

We are an ancient civilization living in a modern age on the brink of a new world. It's a cliff hanger, literally. We have a choice, each and everyone of us, to either take a chance and leap from this brink in hopes that we'll fly clear into the new world we have been given or to remain on this cliff as it collapses beneath our feet and they we destroy ourselves.
Unlike looking over such a canyon, there is no turning back, there is no ladder or mule.
Either way we could destroy ourselves, but if most of us are destroyed, then should the survivors or whatever is left be left knowing that we did nothing be harm or that we tried to evolve into something greater?
I leave that to you.

Onto a less general topic, I'd like to bring to your attention a post by one of my favourite Gay Rights activists, Bryan Leffew, from his blog, "Gay Family Values":

In a recent post labeled: Fundamentalists and Human Disconnect
The link/URL to which is: http://gayfamilyvalues.blogspot.com/2010/06/fundamentalists-and-human-disconnect.html

Bryan in his and his husband's constant eagle eye watch on gay rights and the political battles for equality came across a lovely sack of insane written by one, Bryan Fischer. Fischer being, of course, a fundamentalist christian extremist from the America Family Association.

To sum it up for you, his idea is that all fundamentalist families should have roughly four or more children, if physically possible. So that the next generation can not only replace their parents, but also out breed their homosexual/bisexual/etc. counterparts and in time retake the nation with their so called balanced "Judeo-Christian" values.

In his statement one paragraph reads like this:
And so we will have fulfilled Margaret Sanger’s dream: “more children from the fit.” (Of course, for the founder of Planned Parenthood “fit” meant “white,” which is why Adolph Hitler loved her. By “fit,” I mean parents, regardless of race, who are transmitting to their children the Judeo-Christian values on which America was built.) Who’d have thought that it would be conservative Christians who would bring her dream to realization?
This is wrong on so many levels. Fit? Hitler? Sanger? Where does Jesus even fit into that party?
This suggests that women are only for procreation, child bearing. That's demeaning and dehumanizing. About as dehumanizing as the concept of out breeding the liberals, "building [their] families and training up cultural warriors for the next generation" to overthrow the "Gay Agenda".
Adolph Hitler already tried that. He rounded up Jews, Polish, Blacks and Gays and tried to from a super nation for Catholic Pure race.
Thirdly, where do they think we come from? A "Cabbage Patch"? We're human, we're born in conservative families as much as liberal families. We don't choose this, we are. I was brought up in a very right-wing household that is still apposed to homosexuality, bisexuality and likely Transsexualism.
The likelihood is that within their huge breeding families one or more of the boys or girls will be gay, lesbian or bisexual, that's just the way it is.
I'm closeted, I don't want to be, but I am.
To tie this up, I would like to leave this subject with quote by Bryan Leffew in his blog post. Also I would like to ask you visit the blog post and read his take on it, he has the entire statement by Fischer in the post and the link is above.
"my email inbox is stuffed full of letters from 16 year olds living in conservative and fundamentalist communities asking for help in how to come out without losing everything. We do our best, but after a while it becomes hard to answer them all. They are your sons and daughters sitting quietly and dutifully in the church pews...they may never give you any idea that they are gay but they are dying inside and looking for a way out. They ccan not tell you because they fear losing you and all that they have ever known and believed themselves to be."—Bryan Leffew

"If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door in the country"—Harvey Milk
I hate that I have to remain closeted, but that's the way it is. I am lucky enough and I am incredibly blessed to have the people I do in my life who am and can be out to. Such as my youth leader, my girlfriend, my friends in the youth group I've participated in for the last year and my Aunt Cyndi. None of them judge me for my pansexuality, my attraction to both men and women and who a person is. Even more, it's not a secret, I couldn't care less. If I was thrown out then, so be it. It's better than living a lie. But as it stands, free food.

It's fear that drives these people, they are afraid of what they don't understand. I don't even understand it. I've struggled for ten years trying to understand why something so crucial and primal to my being can't be changed to make life easier.

Fear drives hate and I have found that love and hate are the same, only misunderstood.
You can't hate someone unless you love them enough to care that their doing something or that they are a certain way that you don't understand. So instead of giving into curiosity, they fear what they don't understand and try to fix it.

My dad always said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Shalom,
Brent Matthew Lillard
@SAKUTOnoSai

No comments:

Post a Comment