Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Some great notion...

I was reading a quote by my favourite singer, Brian Molko, and he said to the equivalent, and this is just how I understood it, "who ever is searching for the meaning of life will eventually hit a brick wall".
I don't think so. I do believe that isa touchable answer to what is the meaning of life, but it's philosophical and relative to whom it is that asks. And even then, I think that there isn't just one answer, I think there are billions of answers. Answers in Questions, and questions from those answers. This is why I am so boggled and curious about Philosophy, the human condition, the perception of existence.
I love these little notions that capture the essence of life.
And they don't have to be huge notions either. Take this quote by Brian Molko in a song he sings for the band Placebo:
Since I was born I started to decay. Now nothing ever, ever goes my way.
This is a very simple thought, but it's true on several levels. It speaks to me and my life in literal sense. I was born and I began to die and now I am dieing, but not as fast as I can regenerate, yet even so nothing in my life goes my way. But I wouldn't have it any other way, I like the uncertainty.
Now this brings upon an irony, of course, because life in itself does in fact go my way. But only because it never does, there is uncertainty that I enjoy.
But with an uncertainty that primal to the experience, why on earth would anyone want to even try and locate a meaning of life for themselves?
Because it is that uncertainty that makes it go my way, that makes it somehow certain. There is, because of this, an obscure chance that from the thousands and perhaps billions of questions will come not an answer, but understanding.

Now you read this and think, what an absurd notion. That's some great notion from an person who is merely afraid of being inferior. But I say to you, it is not that I am afraid of being inferior, because I am inferior. I am inferior to many billions of people. I'm a 185 centimeter tall, 10 stone young man with an alabaster complexion as pasty as book page and about as confuse and curious as kitten in front of a mirror.
And I have a heart that hurts, demonstrating to some that I am in fact as weak as they need to feel good about themselves. It's imperative to feel pain and weakness, the greatest heroes have. Weakness is human, pain is human. What is love without pain or surrendering of one's personal weaknesses to another human being?
A heart that hurts is a heart that works.
— Brian Molko of Placebo, "Bright Lights"
I'm not afraid of being inferior, no. But I would argue that many afraid of being superior.
The idea of being superior brings with it a notion of responsibility. A call to action, as it were, to demonstrate the glory of being. The human condition, while perhaps not as special as many ancient philosopher's suggested, is in fact still unique. I don't care if you're weaker muscled or minded than others, or live with Psychopathy, the human condition applies to you.
Now this isn't a question of "is there life out there". I don't care, because the chance of us meeting said life so absurdly remote that I can safely say it wont happen in my lifetime.
What I am saying is we are in fact unique and that there is this inherent fear of being superior or special, because then we feel that it brings upon us responsibility an the metaphorical spotlight.
Now a good way of phrasing this was done by Marianne Williamson in Return to Love: Reflections on a Course in Miracles. It reads as followed:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond imagination. It is our light more than our darkness which scares us. We ask ourselves – who are we to be brilliant, beautiful, talented, and fabulous. But honestly, who are you to not be so?
You are a child of God, small games do not work in this world. For those around us to feel peace, it is not example to make ourselves small. We were born to express the glory of God that lives in us. It is not in some of us, it is in all of us. While we allow our light to shine, we unconsciously give permission for others to do the same. When we liberate ourselves from our own fears, simply our presence may liberate others.
So this brings upon one last argument. "The glory of God," it says.
You know, that I believe in a God and that I also believe in Jesus. But if you know me, then you know I don't believe in religion and all that crap that comes with it. Jesus taught, in my opinion, that we are meant to live life in the fullest and love each other equally. The Roman's created a religion out of it.
That quote says that "It is not in some of us, it is in all of us." and I find that to be reality. I was taught by a pastor that we, as Christians, are a chosen few sent out into the world to convert people and tell them that they are evil if they do not turn, but I do not believe that. I do not accept a a turn or burn mentality.
Yes, we're evil, but not because we do not have the presence of God within us. Hell no. We are evil because we are so great that we create our own world with it's own rules and yet we break those rules anyway.
We're human. It says in the creation poem in Genesis that God breathes life into us and gives us spirit. We all have that.
But life is perceived as many things by many people and even with this comes a million questions.
I think that's some great notion.

Like I said, I like this small notions I hear in song and that I relate to.
So I leave you with, in fact, one of these songs.
If you're reading this on facebook it probably wont show up so I'll add a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNF5zmQPRfM



Next Question.


Shalom,
Brent Matthew Lillard
@SAKUTOnoSai

No comments:

Post a Comment