Thursday, July 1, 2010

Let us be great...

So it's been a while since I talked about music and as you know I'm a specific fan of lo-fi and indie music, out of my love of pretty much everything.
But when hanging around the Free Music Archive I came across a lovely little album called VA - Let Us Be Great. It's curated by Cachalot Midinette Records and is under the Creative Commons License (Attribute-Noncommercial-Share Alike, the same license I use for most of my stuff).
It's got twelve great tracks. Nothing too heavy and only one or two songs are too ambient, but it's a great compilation.
My personal favourite songs are...
"A.G. Ja Ho Havia" by Tired Hippo. I think it's Swedish, I could be wrong, but it's easy and the tune pretty happy. Though I'm not sure about the lyrics as I'm not even sure in what language it's in. But otherwise, it's my kind of music and reminds me of an actual Swedish number by Raymond & Maria about how stupid your sweater is.
"Mount Rushmore's Mushroom" by Goat River is heavier in the metal area, pretty much instrumental and reminiscent of something my biker friends would listen to, or at least would be playing in the background as they beat the living crap out of a pedestrian who scratched their fully restored black and red 1958 pan head.
The latter tracks of the album are more ambient, experimental, softer and/or just rather abstract which contrasts well with the larger half of the album which is more lyrical or melody driven.
The whole album has the slightest psychedelic appeal and from the beginning to end it fades into a deeper, darker and more in-the-depths-of-your-head sort of feel.

I'm not professional or musician, but I really like this album, it's totally my style and it's free to download, stream and share from the FreeMusicArchive at:
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Cachalot_Midinette_Records/none_given_1527/
Because it's under Creative Commons, you can use it within your projects, modify it and/or share with others so long as you attribute it's creator or license holder, do not use it for commercial purposes and share the right to all the above with others.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this with you.
I'll likely use some of the music in my big project if I ever get it rolling.
Hope you enjoy it.

Shalom and much love,
Brent Matthew Lillard
@SAKUTOnoSai

No comments:

Post a Comment